Over on The Book Mine Set, John has asked Canadian Book Challenge participants to come up with a list of books for their province or territory. I made one for Alberta, but to be honest, I identify more with expat Canadians than with those in Canada, for obvious reasons. So I took it upon myself to make a list of the top Expat Canadian books, featuring expat Canadians, not necessarily written by expat Canadians.
Here it is!
10. Curious Little World - Rex Bartlett (St. Helena Island) (CDN, US)
9. The Water In Between, A Journey at Sea - Kevin Patterson (Ocean and Tahiti) (CDN, JP, US)
8. I am a Japanese Writer - Dany LaFerriere (Japan) (CDN, JP, US)
7. Wonderful Use for Fire - Hayden Gabriel (UK and Hawaii) (CDN, JP, US)
6. Sumo Santa - David Howard Berrade (Japan) (CDN)
5. Deadly Slipper - Michelle Wan (France) (CDN)
4. Last Time I Saw Jane - Kate Pullinger (UK) (CDN, JP, US)
3. Beyond the Sky and Earth - Jamie Zeppa (Bhutan) (CDN, JP, US)
2. Moche Warrior - Lyn Hamilton (Peru) (CDN, JP, US)
1. Hokkaido Highway Blues (apparently now renamed Hitching Rides with Buddha) - Will Ferguson (Japan) (CDN, JP, US)
It's a little Japan-heavy. Sorry about that, this really reflects where my interests lie (and what I can buy in this corner of Japan!).
Do you have any other suggestions for expat Canadian fiction?