10. Plant a Kiss - I am getting my cheats out of the way first. This upbeat book that is a great first book for kids to read themselves was released just a few days before 2012 started, but I am including it anyway.
9. Starfall - As much as I loved this book, it too was released in 2011! But this unique book- a picture book with actual photographs, was too heartwarming to leave off the list. Especially since it helped me almost completely conquer my fear of clowns.
A Stick Is an Excellent Thing - fun and rhythmical rhymes celebrating playing outside, this is the perfect act-it-out book.
The Stone Hatchlings - Imaginative Abby from A Flock of Shoes is back and giving inanimate objects life and love.
6. The Tooth Mouse - A tiny little mouse works her way past bigger competitors using her brains and her talent, not to mention a dose of gumption in this book that is evocative of classic French tales.
5. Larf - A bunny-wearing sasquatch looks for love and acceptance in this giggle-worthy tome.
4. Stuck with the Blooz - A loveable grump moves in with an androgynous kiddo who tries so hard to get unstuck, you can't help but cheer at the end.
3. Laundry Day - This fantastic little graphic novel celebrates a diverse neighbourhood, making friends, and pluckiness.
Hey, where's #2? Sorry, I cannot decide which of these books I love the most. We have read both so many times this year, and I find something new to love every single reading. In alphabetical order, then, my favourite books of 2012 are:
1. Sora and the Cloud - Beguiling illustrations and a bilingual book with lyrical prose in both languages. You can't help losing a bit of your heart to the cheeky little cloud.
Virginia Wolf - Heartwarming story of generosity of spirit and ingenuity exhibited by two adorable sisters, also winner of the 2012 Governor General's award for Children's Illustration.
What are the best books you read this year? Any of them picture books?
I am linking up to Teacher Treasure Hunter where everyone is posting their favourite books of 2012!
<div class="separator" style="clear: both; text-align: center;"><a href="http://www.teachertreasurehunter.blogspot.com/2013/01/its-linky-party-favorite-picture-books.html">
<img border="0" height="240" src="http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fKJ9pBW5hsM/UPuvdujgBQI/AAAAAAAADGI/c96ljQ2CWKY/s320/favorite+picture+books+of+2012.jpg" width="320" /></a></div>